Friday, July 6, 2012

Motivation.

You know how I was so incredibly exited about my summer to-do list? Yeah, I regret that.

Crash and burn, my friend.

I have a tendency to get so involved in an activity without thinking it through all the way. This turned out all right for my first half-marathon, but I'm just not feeling the motivation that I should right now.

Let's start with my list. What I have accomplished: I have read wayy over the amount of fiction books I wanted to get through this summer. Currently I'm re-reading Gone With the Wind. Good choice! But that's about the only thing I've accomplished this summer. Bummer. 

That's not entirely true. I did start volleyball practice again! I'm always really nervous and stressed out at the beginning of the season, but after a week or two I remember how much I love to play. It's crazy how easy it is to forget my love of volleyball. Which leads me to my next point. With all this volleyball-in' I haven't exactly had the energy to run. Not to mention it's 100 degrees every day of the week. Stupid heat wave! So I've been feeling pretty out of the loop lately. The furthest I've run since my half was five miles, and that was about a month ago. So, I think it's time to rethink my priorities. 

After I ran my 10k and half-marathon I was so pumped up and ready for the next race. This surprised even me because, like I said before, I didn't think of myself as someone who would live from race to race. Turns out, I was right. I need some down time. I've known this for quite a while now, I just didn't want to admit it to myself. I feel like I'm always failing, and as running is the one thing I thought I might be decent at, it's put me in a depressed mood. Sometimes you just have to realize enough is enough. I run because I like to be active and healthy. Now that I'm playing volleyball again, I feel like I'm going into double time. Especially with the heat, I'm just plain worn out. So, maybe I'll sign up for a 10k or maybe even a 5k. I just need to take my runs a little easier than I intended. 

Something that drives me crazy about running: I feel like every time I take a few weeks off I have to start over from scratch again. It's sooo disappointing! On the up side, you always have something to work towards. I still love to run, and plan on running for as long as my body allows me.

Oh, and about my hundred page narrative that I was writing, that hasn't happened either. 

How has your summer turned out differently than planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment