Monday, February 20, 2012

Locker Drama

Those of you who know me well know that me and my friends like to have a good time at school - in between classes, of course. It seems that someone is always planning on meeting somewhere or going out to lunch on half-days or going to ice cream after school. It's good to be around people who share the same beliefs as you and we are all open to talking about our struggles and what helps us when we're feeling "down and out." I feel so blessed to have this friend-based support, as I realize that not everyone has a great group of friends like I do.

So first, I would like to say thank you for your love and acceptance.

But enough of the sappy "I love you." Moving on . . .

A couple of months ago, one of my friends hung up a Bible verse in his locker. We all hang around there before school and so he thought it would be a good idea if we all memorized it. The next thing I know, he has the Bible verse hanging on the outside of his locker with some wimpy tape. "It will never stay up!" I remember saying. Our school isn't the most open to Christianity. In a way, this has strengthened my faith. Although it might not seem that apparent to those I'm stammering at, trying to explain why I don't believe in evolution. Anyway, I think the poster was up for about three class periods before it disappeared.

So we did what we had to do. The next day we brought out the heavy duty duct tape and the Sharpie and posted the verse on the locker once again. We didn't mean anything by it, really. All we wanted to do was memorize the verse ourselves and hanging it up on a locker seemed like a good solution, especially since I walk by there five times a day. Again, this verse was gone by forth hour.

This went on for a few days before we all began putting verses up on our lockers. It felt right. After all, Matthew 28:19 says, "Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." We, as Christians, are called to go into the world and share the Gospel to those who are lost. This is what we're doing. We're not trying to be snooty about it, we aren't going to plan revenge (Revenge of the Bible-verse-locker-thieves! Ha, that made me laugh), and if you're the one tearing our posters down, we're not going to confront you about it. Besides, the sooner the verses are torn down, the more verses we get to put up, the more Scripture is shared.

Philemon 1:6 says, "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ." We are called to share God's Word with everyone and in doing so, we might understand it better.

I guess I'm telling this story to explain to those who think our Bible-verse-lockers are rude or un-thoughtful that we don't mean anything by it. It's a way for us to share our faith. I've been waiting and listening, but God hasn't told us not to do this. And so we'll continue and we'll pray that someone is being touched and is feeling God tugging at their heart.

1 John 5:4 says, "For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith."

2 comments:

  1. http://anyoneupthere.blogspot.com/2012/02/word-from-your-hater.html Here is a word from your "hater". I figured it would fit in well with our unit in class about counter arguments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input! I would just like to say a few things. First of all, the person you share a locker with, I was told, asked if they could put a verse up and you said it was okay. I had nothing to do with that.

      Second, we are reevaluating our motives for putting up these verses. We have come to the conclusion that we were doing it for the wrong reasons. But God has shown us that and we plan on changing the way we are presenting our faith. And we're not forcing our religion on you, you; you don't have to read the verses if you don't want to.

      Thirdly, God speaks to us through the Bible and in prayer. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

      Again, thank you for your input. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete