Friday, July 29, 2011

Back to Missouri

I left for Camp Table Rock at five thirty this morning along with seventy other teens. I love waking up four in the morning and watching the sun rise over the city. The ten hour bus ride to Table Rock, Missouri is honestly one of the highlights of my camp experience. I can't adequately explain to you how riding on a charter bus is enjoyable; being on that bus with all my friends is one of the best moments of my life.

Ten hours later we pulled into the Camp Table Rock driveway and walked out into the humid Missouri air. Every year we sit through an orientation that is just so full of information you can't really remember anything. We were assigned our cabins and, as the camp counselors say, let our suitcases explode onto the floor. I was lucky enough to be put in a cabin with my good friends whom I love dearly. (I say that I love them dearly because it is sometimes hard to love someone who doesn't stop talking even though it's one in the morning and you have to wake up at six.)

We head off for our separate team games. The first game I played was a game called electric fence. You have to jump over a rope about three feet high and if you touch it you have to start over again. Your whole team has to get to the other side of the rope first to win. I was thrown over the rope this year. The feeling of flying is exhilarating.

Our first service started out with praise and worship, which is always my favorite part of camp. When the music starts to play everyone runs to the front of the chapel, trying to get as close to the stage as possible. We all start clapping and you can feel the Holy Spirit surrounding you. I was singing at the top of my lungs and was wishing I could sing louder.

Every evening service Pastor Rick brings a message about rethink truth. That night it was rethink truth about drugs. These services are so powerful they bring you to tears. In the past four years that I have been attending Camp Fun in the Son I have learned so much. Drugs are not something to mess around with; one day can ruin your life forever. Pastor Rick also talked about how the media influences our decisions about drugs; it glorifies drugs through music, television shows, and video games.

At the end of each service there is a time of prayer. Half of the chapel goes to the front to pray that God will forgive their sins. It is such a powerful moment.

All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Matthew 28:18-20

1 comment:

  1. I know why you liked the charter bus ride. ;) I miss camp, there is nothing like praising God with all of your closest friends.

    ReplyDelete