Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Taking Off The Mask

Lie: Society tells us that we have to stick to one social group. You are what you are. Jock. Prep. Band geek. Nerd. Art freak. Whatever. Everyone has a label.

Truth: It doesn't have to be this way.

Everyone has their group of friends. The ones who you are so close to, you share everything with them. I absolutely adore my group of friends. And since we're talking about labels, I might as well add that we might be known as the "Jesus Freaks," and that's perfectly fine with me.  

In high school especially, people tend to separate themselves into these groups and never look back. If you're in the "cool" crowd you can't talk to the band geeks and if you're a nerd you can't associate with the jocks. I know you're probably thinking "oh that's so cliche" but why would it be cliche if it weren't true? In my high school, if you're a show choir person you're like wayyy up on the totem pole. (Of course, I might be biased. I'm jealous of anyone who can sing and dance without falling on their face.)

I tried really hard to find some research on this but I couldn't. So this is just going to have to be my opinion: could social groups and clicks possibly lead to suicide? In the perspective of those on the outside looking in, so desperate to fit in and what do we do? We ignore them entirely. Maybe we're pressured into acting cool-er than we are, maybe we just don't care but we're still ignoring those who are searching for strength. Those on the inside looking out. Are they perhaps too pressured to be who their friends are? If they slip up they'll be shunned and no longer a part of the "in-crowd?"

Maybe that isn't true at all. Just a thought. 

Romans 12:3-7 says, "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

It's so easy to get caught up on who you are based on what people tell you. But God clearly says that we are individuals for a purpose, each with our own talents, no one is better than the other. I think it's time to take off the mask and cross the social boundaries that we have set for ourselves. They only hinder us. When we all see each other as people loved by God, created by Him, then we can work together, successfully. 


1 comment:

  1. Amen Sister! Such a good scripture reference for this topic. And I hate how people are so exclusive. I strive to not be part of this stigma and I try to make everyone know that someone cares. It is so sad to see when some one takes their own life after all other options seem to have been exhausted. I just wish people could see how badly they treat their peers.

    ReplyDelete