Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Pet Peeves of RUNNING

As I was running the other day, I began to list all the things that annoyed me while I ran. Here's my list of the things that drive me crazy:

  1. When you begin running and realize you forgot to stretch, so you stop in the middle of the trail and almost get hit by a biker.
  2. Your foot falls asleep while you're trying to finish your eight miles.
  3. A bug flies up your nose and you suddenly can't breathe.
  4. When a bug flies in your eye and you suddenly can't see.
  5. All the bicyclists try to ride by you as close and fast as they can and you pee yourself a little.
  6. You can run eight miles but you can't sprint to the car without breathing like a racehorse.
  7. You're so proud of how far you ran and all of your friends just stand there, unimpressed, as you tell them how you can't believe you did it.
  8. The city doesn't open the trail restrooms until May. When they do finally open up the bathrooms to the public, they forget to leave toilet paper.
  9. Your friend who has never run in his life asks to run with you and is better at it than you are.
  10. You trip on a crack in the sidewalk and practically fly up into the air, flail your arms, and fall headfirst into a bush.
  11. The homeless man on the trail begins to follow you.
  12. All of the baby geese hatch and the mothers suddenly decide that they need to viciously attack you as you run by.
  13. You run past a dog and it jumps up and tries to attack you. You pee yourself a little. Again.
  14. You think it's going to be warm, so you wear shorts. It begins to snow.
  15. You think it's going to be cold, so you wear sweat pants. The sun is melting you.
  16. Your shoelace comes untied. Five times. You double knot it. It comes untiled again.
  17. You can feel a blister beginning to form during the first mile of your run.
  18. When you forget to bring some form of time keeper and you're late to dinner.
  19. You accidently run a mile further than you're supposed to; therefore, you run an extra two miles.
  20. You stand on the street corner for five minutes because the "walk" sign doesn't change.

But really, running isn't so bad. I am in the sixth week of my training program (for my half-marathon), and I've never felt better. For all the things that drive me crazy, the feeling of accomplishment after I run is what keeps me going.

Despite everything I just told you, this is what you need to know: exercise is healthy. Get out there and do something good for your body. Whether that be running, walking, or playing a competitive game of sand volleyball, get outdoors. Have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I'm extremely impressed you can run that far (and a little jealous:p). I'm so proud of you and will be standing at the finish line ready to give you a huge hug!!:) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete