Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Making Mistakes

I recently made an "oops," let's call it a "big oops." I have asked forgiveness and been forgiven, so for me (and hopefully for the other person) this is in the past. What I did can't be undone, and I do regret it, but it's over now; insults and back-stabbing aren't going to change anything.

It's hard for me to ask forgiveness. Why is it always hard for us humans to say the what-should-be simple words "I'm sorry?" As Christians, the world sees us as people who need to be perfect. Maybe there's a reason for that. After all, we're called to follow Christ's example, who was perfect. But in the grand scheme of things, we're still humans. And obviously, imperfect. Guess what, guys? I make mistakes too!

In Brant's Blog, he writes about a famous guy who recently made a mistake. I don't understand all the details, and it's not necessary to, but because this guy was famous, the whole world is now able to ridicule him, call him names. Guess what, guys? Just because he's famous, doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes too!

Brant was talking about how the guy now has his entire burden laid before the world. He wrote, "Your breakdown, your fallenness, your foolishness, your weakness, made national news. Ours hasn't, yet. But everyone knows you are no Superman. Everyone knows you are a man who cannot 'hold it all together.' Everyone knows you are not to be placed on a pedestal. Everyone knows you are a man who cannot be trusted to save the world. Everyone knows you've got 'issues.'"

You know what, Brant? I've got issues too. And you're right, it's kind of a relief to let everyone know you're not perfect, even if it undermines your credibility. 1 Corinthians 4:5 says, "Therefore, judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring light to what is hidden in darkness, and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time, each will receive his praise from God."

It isn't our place to judge. I have a hard time remembering this one. So thanks for keeping me accountable!

The thing that most stuck with me from Brant's post was this: "God knows our darkest motives, our worst moments, our private shame, and is yet willing to say, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant,' because of what Jesus has done for us. I simply can't imagine having everything brought into the light, and then hearing 'Well done . . . '"

God forgives. And thankfully, because of Jesus' saving grace, we can too. I'm sorry for what I've done, but I can't change the past. You, however, you can change the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment