Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Perfect Christian

For the past two days, whenever I have turned on the radio in the afternoon, the DJ is always talking about what it means to be the "perfect Christian." He asks questions such as "should we be perfect?" and "If we're imperfect, what does that say to non-Christians?" and "But if we do pretend to be perfect, how does that affect the way non-Christians view us?"

Well, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. If I mess up, does that just prove to those who don't believe that we aren't really changed when we accept Christ into our life? Or does that just make it easier for them to understand that our God really is a forgiving and loving Savior?

Honestly, I don't know. I'm trying to find scripture references that say something to the extent that our imperfections make our relationship with God all that more real, but this is what I found:

Matthew 5:43-48 says, "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Those were Jesus' words. Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect. So now I'm really confused. I think that if we try to be perfect, we'll end up thinking that we're perfect, which we're not. We are made perfect through the blood of Jesus Christ. We can't be perfect on our own. And that's why Jesus said "as your heavenly Father is perfect." But there is no way we can live up to that standard.

If we live imperfectly and admit to our flaws, are we telling unbelievers that our God is weak? Or are we saying that he's strong enough to save even those who are imperfect?

What do you think? Thoughts? Opinions? Or do you just have more questions, because I know I do?

1 comment:

  1. In my personal experiences, people are more willing to hear what I have to say if they know that I have flaws. Many people are turned off by the "perfect Christian" because they cant relate. Non-believers want to know that there is a God that will love you even when you mess up, they learn that through our faults.

    ReplyDelete