Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Blue Sky.

With the end of the school year wrapping up, I've been faced with a lot of "growing up." Maybe it isn't personally MY growing up, but it's somebody's, and I just wish I could tell them everything they should or shouldn't do. Of course, I don't know what that is myself.

It's once again that time of the year for my private school eighth graders to graduate. Being an alumni, I cry whenever another class passes through the doors of public school. I don't know why. There is absolutely no reason for this, until this year. My little sister has officially graduated the eight grade. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOURS! Now go back to the easy, care-free days of kindergarten.

All of my "public school friends" say that graduating the eight grade isn't a big deal. That's true - if you went to a public middle school. Graduating from this private school is so much different! I can't explain it properly unless you've properly experienced it. It's a safe house. A place to learn and grow in your Christianity with friends and teachers who support and love you. We open the day in prayer, we have Bible studies, we sing songs of salvation and God's saving grace. School was my life, because that was where my friends were. Graduating from private school is a big deal.

My few weeks of public high school were weird. Not just because everything was new. I just always felt like I was waiting for something to happen. I didn't realize this until months later, but what I had been waiting for was a different start to the day, a simple prayer. But finding that in public school, it's easier to find a needle in a haystack!

It really wasn't until the last term of my freshman year that I really began connecting with people. I didn't find them at school, however, I found them in my youth group. They all went to my school and I didn't even notice them because I was so sucked into my own little pity party of "I don't have any friends."

I guess what I'm trying to say here is this: to you eighth graders, don't let life get you down. It's okay to be nervous for high school. Just don't be so nervous that you don't live your summer. Make friends, be open to meeting new people, but make good choices while you're at it. Don't befriend someone you know is just going to tear you down. Trust God. That's something I had to learn the hard way. Don't be afraid to pray at school. Be the light in the darkness. All those cliche's. Hold onto your innocence. I'm always available to talk if you need it. Have a wonderful summer! High school is going to open up a world of opportunity to you, don't waste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment