Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sand, Sun, Ocean Lyfe

It's our last day in Florida, and another red flag day at that. The waves on the beach today were even bigger than yesterday. We spread out our towels and my family hit the water while I read a book like a nerd. I was minding my own business when I feel water creeping into my little corner of the world. That's right. The waves had blasted themselves over the ridge of sand and into human territory. How rude! I quickly sprung into action as I tried to save all of our towels and food from the surf, but to no avail. Crazy water ocean water!

After five days on the beach I am sick and tired of the sand, sunscreen, and the sun itself. I hate to say it, but I'm ready to move on. As much as I love the ocean, enough is enough - expecially when you're sunburnt like a boiled lobster. Okay, maybe not that bad, but I'd say in the catagory of a ripe tomato. I tried, okay? Sometimes all the sunscreen in the world can't protect you from the salt water licking away the semi-protective sunscreen, no matter how many times you re-apply.

After a morning of melting away, we cleaned ourselves off, got rid of the dry seaweed smell, and had a glorious lunch at Bubba Gump's. I hate to say it, but I've never seen Forrest Gump. Tragic, I know. But it can't beat Gone With the Wind. We've wasted the afternoon away with a little shopping and a little dessert. Have you ever tried chocolate dipped key lime pie? It's delicious.

Tomorrow we have an eight hour drive to whoknowswhere. After that we have another seven hour drive before reaching our destination in Missouri, where we'll be visiting friends from another time. Ahh memories.

Quote of the day: "Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was going somewhere I was running." -Forrest Gump

No comments:

Post a Comment