Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Seaweed

Our first full day in Destin was quite an adventure. The sand and ocean itself are different from Panama City Beach. The sand is soft and fine - remember when you were a child and you used to run your hand through the flour? That's what it feels like. The ocean is more green than blue; there's a lot of seaweed, unlike the last beach where there wasn't any seaweed at all. Funny how forty five minutes makes such a difference.

I really think seaweed is a curse on humanity. It smells terrible. I waded into the ocean and it felt like running hair through my fingers. It wraps around your legs like an octopus. Take your choice: a beautiful ocean, or a perfect beach.

After laying out all morning and afternoon, I must say I am officially sunburnt. Yuck! We relaxed the rest of the afternoon before heading out to village wharf. We walked about two miles before coming across shops and restaurants. It's a beautiful little village within the condo community we're staying at, and once the sun had set fireworks sprang from the darkness. Dropless of light shattered the night sky over the ocean. A perfect ending.

Today has been much the same; although, I've tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible. You know, sunburn. The waves, however, were not the same at all. We walked up to the beach to see a red flag, which is the universal sign for danger. We were to use "extreme caution" while out in the deep. I didn't venture out until the last hour of our afternoon when I was tossed by the waves and given a headache. The "nicer" waves are simple, green rolling water that picks you up and gently sets you back down again. All of the waves today were foamy and strong. I was knocked off my feet. You had to time your jump just right, and get the correct angle otherwise ending with a faceplant to the water. I had enough after about twenty minutes and returned to my quiet chair underneath my protective umbrella.

Quote of the day: "All rivers, even the most dazzling, those that catch the sun in their course, all rivers go down to the ocean and drown. And life awaits man as the sea awaits the river." -Simone Schwarz-Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment