Monday, January 9, 2012

Main Street Models

Maurices is one of my favorite clothing stores ever. I love how they always have appropriate clothing and that their small size is made to fit a normal person and not a stick with arms. I was shopping there with my mother a few weeks ago and as I approached the checkout counter I noticed a huge picture of twelve women posing as models. Perfectly normal, except that they weren't models!

Get this: Maurices has their very own Main Street Model Search in the spring and fall. Women from all across the country submit their application to be a Maurices model. Online voters choose twenty contestants who then submit a video about why they should be the next Main Street Model. Twenty contestants are left and they are brought to Minneapolis, Minnesota to be judged. There are twelve winners, of all shapes and sizes, who do photo shoots and can win money to help their community. But enough about what I have to say . . . 

Jennifer Krise was a model winner last year. When she reached the top twenty she was so excited about being able to help her home town by giving the money to a local animal shelter.

Emily Hansen graduated from Iowa State University and hoped that by winning Main Street Model she would be able to show her community's youth and clients (she works with teens struggling with body image and self-confidence) that hard work, goalsetting, and strong values pay off. In her original submission, Emily describes herself as a "six foot three inch, plus size woman who believes that beauty is shown through values, confidence, and services to others." Way to go Emily! By becoming a Main Street Model, Emily was able to show others how she overcame her struggle with body image and realized how much she influenced people with her attitude. 

Alyssa Buckley never saw modeling as something to pursue, but through Main Street Model she was able to show women that it's okay to be real. She said, "I like to take care of myself, but more so out of self confidence rather than because that is how I am supposed to be in order to fit in."  

Allison Potts wanted to become one of the Main Street Models because of her struggle with body image. She explained that in high school she was athletic and fit, but after graduation she gained over 100 pounds. Allison could never find clothes to fit her right until she found Maurices plus sizes. She said, "I soon started dressing better and felt much better about my appearance even though I was a size twenty four. I joined weight watchers in order to become a healthier person, and as soon as I started dropping sizes, I had to buy more clothes." Through clothing, Allison was able realize her beauty and this motivated her to begin taking better care of her body.

I just think it's so cool how different all these stories are, and yet they all share the same message: you are beautiful, no matter what size you are. 

Imperfections are beautiful. Embrace your flaws and smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment