Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fat Talk No Talk Back

About a month or two ago I posted about Fat Talk Free Week. I have to admit, I haven't followed through with my vehement promise to no longer Fat Talk about myself (or others). But! the more I research body image the more I realize that I need to renew my promise to myself and you to not speak of Fat Talk.

In the book I'm reading, Operation Beautiful, Fat Talk is described as an expected behavior and "norm" for women. It's a bonding mechanism that females use to "earn" compliments, express emotions, seek social reassurance, and excuse eating behaviors. Instead of making us feel better, however, Fat Talk is a trigger to unhealthy behavior and will often, subconsciously, motivate you to overeat or skip a workout. To make matters worse, Fat Talk is a condition that women rarely notice they participate in.

I am writing this to explain to you that if you participate in Fat Talk, I will reply with a "yes, you could stand to lose a few pounds." So don't be offended. And don't be afraid to confront me when I'm using Fat Talk. Take a stand with me. Fat Talk no talk back.

"When every girl can see her beauty, we will be an army." -Superchick

No comments:

Post a Comment