Saturday, October 15, 2011

Follow the Leader

I graduated eight grade from a small private school. When I say small I mean two hundred students, pre-school through eight grade. Small. I never would have thought that three years later I would be back, mentoring seventh and eight grade girls.

How can I be a mentor? I have no idea what I should be doing (or not doing). I'm only sixteen! How am I supposed to help middle schoolers when I don't even know how to help myself?

By setting a Christlike example.

As I was watching these girls, trying to remember names and faces and getting to know them, I realized how amazing they are. We were standing around the fire in a circle doing a popcorn prayer. One after the other, they began to pour out their hearts to God, sometimes interrupting each other because they all wanted a chance to pray. I know I didn't have the courage in eight grade to pray out loud, I'm not even sure I'm always brave enough now.

I want to do right by these girls. I want to be able to set a good example. I want them to be able to ask the questions that I was too afraid to ask going into high school, about what it would be like. I want to be able to tell them the truth.

So I'm going to be watching myself more carefully, judging my actions with more scrutiny, all while remembering that no one is perfect except God. So I'll turn to him, he who is always ready to forgive and always perfect, I'll turn to him for the answers, and hope that I have the patience to await his response.

No comments:

Post a Comment