Friday, July 1, 2011

Sabbatical Day 22/Golden Gate Bridge

I am sitting in a condo in San Fransisco! We left early this morning and didn't arrive until lunch. We stopped at the Golden Gate Bridge and were able to walk across it. When I first set foot on the bridge I was caught up in all the noise and the people. Once I looked out across the water everything stopped, the wind and view took my breath away. We were able to see the whole city from the bridge along with the island of Alcatraz. There were people everywhere; bikers, runners, businessmen. The ironic part of the bridge was that there were telephones all over; they were there for people to call help if they think they are going to jump. The bridge is over a mile long and we walked the whole length of it and back.

Reluctantly, we left the wonders of the Golden Gate Bridge and checked in to our condo. This city is amazing to me because the land isn't flat by any means. It is amazing how all these buildings could be built when it is so hilly there. We are staying in a Wyndham Vacation Resort near Chinatown. All Wyndham's are beautiful but this one seems exceptionally so. What I love about these condos is that no matter who you are they treat you like royalty. After we had settled in, we walked to Chinatown.

Chinatown is huge and we walked around for about an hour before finding a restaurant we were satisfied with. It is strange when you are in Chinatown because there are so few caucasians. While we were walking through the streets there was a band of elderly Chinese men. They were playing the most unusual instruments and when I smiled at one of the men he let me try to play it; it was kind of like a banjo. I got my picture taken with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment