Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sabbatical Day 21/Beachcombing

Six o'clock in the morning is the time I was up today. My father got it in his head to get up early in order to see the ocean at low tide. I complied, thinking the earliest we would dream to get up while on vacation was eight. No, six o'clock in the morning and I was on a cold beach with wet feet.

Beachcombing at low tide was different than when we had previously searched for seashells. The water was farther out than I had imagined it could be. We stood at the edge of the water and thought that if it was high tide we would be completely submurged. We started out at a beach the locals call Ten Mile Beach, though I'm not sure why. Sand dollars were scattered all over the sand, some were in pieces but we were lucky enough to find at least ten whole ones, many of them have the surface area of my fist. To get to Ten Mile Beach you have to cross over a river. When we arrived at the beach we found that that same river cut through the beach and drained into the ocean. It was the craziest thing!

When we had a full bag of sand dollars we headed out to a beach that we were told had starfish. I was obstinate that we wouldn't find any. Ten minutes later I was proven wrong when we had found over thirty starfish! I touched one; they didn't feel slimy and squishy like I thought they were going to. The starfish were hard. It was fascinating.

We returned to our house and ate a large breakfast before taking a nap. Around noon we went out to the beach again and laid out in the warm sun. We were all so thankful for the perfect weather today since it is our last day in Fort Bragg. Tomorrow we leave for San Fransisco. Personally, I am genuinely excited to stay in a city for a few days. Plus, while we are there we get to see Alcatraz!

No comments:

Post a Comment